
I'm from Enterprise, Alabama; population: small. When I tell people where I'm from, I always get one of two questions: "Is that where the Boll Weevil is?" OR "Ohhh, y'all had that big tornado, didn't you?" On a good day, I'll get both of those questions. The answers: yes and yes.
In Enterprise, we celebrate the Boll Weevil, which is a tiny bug that consumes cotton. When this little pest moved in, our region was forced to plant peanuts. Now, many years later, we are the largest producers of peanuts. The Boll Weevil sits so proudly in the middle of the intersection on Main Street. Yes, we're that small, we have a Main Street.
And tornadoes, we have a day to recognize those, as well. On March 1, 2007 a tornado swept through our town and took eight of my classmates, along with our high school. The best way to describe it would be through the song "Carry On" by The Skyline Drive.
Enterprise, which is a circle, wasn't big enough for me, and didn't really help me with directions, again because it's a circle. So, now my home is in Tuscaloosa, where I attend The University of Alabama. Business proved to be the wrong major for me so I stick with Public Relations. I like to do things I'm good at, and this is one of them. I'm a senior PR major itching to graduate in May of this year. I also have a double minor in General Business and Computer Science, which I hope both will help me one day...somehow.
I currently work at The Ferg, our student union, in dual roles as an event planning assistant and a programming assistant. I couldn't ask for better experience. Upon graduating, I will attend UA for one last year for Graduate School while I study Sports Management. I'm crossing my fingers for the opportunity to plan and promote events for a major university...one day. That's all.
No comments:
Post a Comment